Tuesday, November 17, 2009

already?

This weekend, I was doing my usual spastic-flip-through-the-radio-stations thing while we were in the car {which Marty loves, by the way}. Between the five seconds of Taylor Swift's "You Belong with Me," seven seconds of Casting Crown's "Until the Whole World Hears," and three seconds of Black Eyed Peas' "I Gotta Feeling" {so overplayed, right?}, I heard this...

...who wouldn't know? Ho Ho Ho! Who wouldn't knoooow? Up on the housetop, click click click! Down through the chimney with good Saint Nick!

Seriously? Christmas music? Geeze Louise, it's only halfway through November.

I have to confess: last year, I embraced the retail world's "Christmas in October" phenomenon with open arms. I blasted "Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree" and "The First Noel" right after Halloween, and told my relatives {who staunchly refused to listen to Christmas music until after Thanksgiving} that they were nuts. Even if we haven't gorged ourselves on boatloads of turkey and cranberry sauce yet, who doesn't love Christmas music?

Yep. That's how I felt. Until right around December 10th, when "Here Comes Santa Claus" went from happy-holiday-cheer to I'm-so-sick-of-this-stupid-song. I could still handle the worshipful, beautiful Christmas carols: "O Holy Night," "O Come, All Ye Faithful," "Joy to the World," and such. But if I heard one more cheesy rendition of "The Twelve Days of Christmas," my head was going to explode into a million pieces of sugar-plum fairy dust. So this year, I'm hopping on the "No Christmas music before Thanksgiving" bandwagon.

And hopefully, "Santa Baby" won't start to really drive me nuts until after December 25th.

:-)

2 comments:

Chick Hatchers said...

There are some songs that could be listened to year-round and not become annoying, yet others are annoying at the second playing (well, maybe not that soon, but played WAY too frequently.) Now, "I Want a Hippopatomus for Christmas" (Gayla Peevy) is heard year-round in our house - because it's fun. "How Many Kings" (Downhere) is also heard year-round because it's a good reminder every day! Can you imagine what life would be like without music?

Rochelle said...

Haha! Yeah, I can't really listen to Christmas music until then too.

Does that picture make you miss your old apt? :) Very nice!