Wednesday, April 20, 2011

identifying your purpose


I don't know about you, but sometimes I get bogged down in the day-to-day stuff. {I won't expound on my "stuff," because you'd probably -- nope, definitely -- be bored to tears. Let's just say, it helps to remind myself that I'm working for a higher purpose than just doing endless loads of laundry...} From time to time, I'm learning that it's important to refocus my priorities. I need to remind myself why I'm doing what I'm doing -- it helps give me direction, and adds a sense of purpose to my day.

I came across a helpful list in the book Leaders Who Last, by Dave Kraft {I had the privilege of working on the book during my time at Crossway}. Here's a list he gives on how to identify your purpose in life:

1. Record Bible passages God has applied to your life.
2. Reflect how God has used you in the past.
3. Determine what you're passionate about.
4. List your known gifts and strengths.
5. Delineate what you have excelled at in your work experience.
6. Define what action words best describe what you like to do.
7. Write down what you enjoy doing in your free time.

And then...
8. Reread all your answers.
9. Take note of common themes.
10. Write down key words or ideas that repeat.
11. Summarize those key words in a short, energizing statement about yourself.

Interesting, yes? I think it's a helpful exercise to work through. And if you're up for it, the rest of Kraft's book is an excellent read for anyone in a leadership role.* He shares simple techniques for getting things done that, in my humble opinion, are priceless.

Now. Back to the laundry...

*By "leadership role," I'm talking VP's at companies, pastors at churches, and yes, moms at home -- leading their little brood around all day long :)

No comments: